FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies U.S.A., Inc. is seeking a Director of Upstream Process Development. The Director, Upstream Process Development provides strong scientific and administrative leadership to the Upstream Process Development Team setting annual goals and objectives and long range planning. In addition, the Director:
- Creates high-level business strategy for the department.
- Oversees the management of resources and coordinates activities across multiple departments to achieve business objectives and revenue goals.
- Serves as the strategic leader and advocate for the department with upper management and external parties.
- Is responsible for driving the right culture of accountability and collaboration within the team as well as providing key leadership within the department as a whole.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for setting annual goals and objectives and long range planning of the business unit
- Ensures departmental goals and project milestones of the research, development, and innovation departments are achieved
- Responsible for budget and acquisition of capital equipment of the business unit
- Instrumental in the development and planning stages of uncharted and complex research goals
- Responsible for defining collaborative projects with FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies U.K.
- New business development through the identification and application of technologies, partnerships or collaborations
- Drives innovation programs to maintain and create the opportunity to offer leading edge technologies
- Support sales and marketing activities to attract, secure and retain client programs
- Acts as a key liason between clients and FujiFilm
- Responsible for providing ongoing coaching and feedback and conducting performance reviews for direct reports
- Reviews and calibrates performance and promotion recommendations for the business unit to ensure consistency and equity
- Enhances and maintains a reputation for excellence
- Resolves conflicts and removes obstacles that stand in the way of accomplishing project goals and objectives
- Represents the business unit on the Process Development Leadership Team
- Coordinates project milestone requirements with CPL’s
- The Director has the following proficiencies
- Ability to direct the activities of multiple groups.
- Demonstrated ability to create and nurture an environment that encourages brainstorming and collaboration around idea generation, experimental techniques, and sharing of knowledge and resources. Developing procedures and quality standards within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to create new scientific directions of value to the Company, and an understanding of the impact of global trends on development affecting the Company and area of own expertise.
- Capable of recommending new areas of research and innovation to meet long-term business goals.
- Can foster a working environment focused on adherence to science, innovation, quality, regulatory standards and continuous improvement.
- Ability to make risk based decisions in ambiguous situations
- Directs the activities of multiple groups by setting standards, timeframes and priorities, interacting with other departments and handling administrative, human resource and inter-departmental duties.
- Negotiates resource allocation and budget requirements balancing project needs with company objectives; is flexible in dealing with shifting and/or competing priorities.
- Achieves results within defined budget, timing and resource parameters; considers the impact of resource allocation on other work streams
- Is a good judge of talent and demonstrates ability to attract, lead and develop subordinates.
- Provides challenging/stretch assignments to develop staff's capabilities.
- Supports appropriate employee development opportunities through information, tools and resources.
- Promotes systems and processes that encourage the development of people within the company.
- The Department Head has the following problem solving skills
- Provides expert advice on research issues, problems and trends having significant impact on department’s achievement of short and long-term goals.
- Works on broad and highly complex problems, which may span geographic boundaries.
- Work extends knowledge globally in a given field.
- Not only originates research ideas and suggests new areas for development, but also assumes a decision making role in shaping the Company’s research and development agenda.
Oral & Written Communication
- Substantial contacts in industry, scientific organizations and academia that attract and retains talented scientists.
- High corporate visibility, demonstrated track record and is an invaluable resource to management on scientific and general business issues.
- Participates in inter-disciplinary task forces to identify new directions for research.
- Ensures efficient and ongoing two-way communication in collaboration with outside companies.
- As appropriate, reviews and approves departmental and inter-departmental reports for internal and external distribution
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and stakeholders
- Engages senior management in a timely manner when project issues or problems arise
- Provides monthly project reports to Research and Development Vice President and RTP President summarizing milestones, successes and issues
- Ensure that project documentation follows R+D documentation practices
- Leader Behaviors
- Places emphasis on open, honest and tactful communication
- Sets clear performance standards and holds staff accountable for achieving business results
- Acts as owner of the business when making decisions.
- Makes "big picture" linkages. Leverages other projects/initiatives that potentially impact or are impacted by one another.
- Integrates not only across functions, but also across initiatives.
- Looks beyond organizational boundaries for value added contributions.
- Builds effective alignment among and balances interest of critical constituencies.
- Collects and analyzes lessons of both successes and failures across department/functional initiatives
- Communicates learning’s so that they can be broadly translated into ongoing activities/responsibilities
- Demonstrates ability to attract, lead and develop talent
- Consistent and clear about ethical standards, behavior expectations and consequences.
The position typically requires a PhD and 18+ year experience or MS and 26+ years’ experience.
Experience in upstream processing (cell culture and fermentation) preferred
The individual should have demonstrated proficiency in the following areas
- Experience with supervising and handling the administrative and managerial duties of a group of scientists, including performance management and goal setting
- Experience in managing project timelines and resources to accomplish project milestones
- Experience in resolving conflicts and removing obstacles that stand in the way of accomplishing project goals and objectives
- Track record of technical development and mentoring of staff
- Involvement in setting the scientific direction of the company's development and innovation efforts
- Recognition and leveraging of innovative opportunities within a project
- Superior oral communication skills, able to communicate with global customers, experienced in supporting sales & marketing activities to secure new business for the company
FDBU works with technical data, technology and materials that are subject to U.S. export laws and regulations. This position will require access to technical data, technology and source code that is controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations at 22 C.F.R. Parts 120 – 130 and Export Administration Regulations in 15 C.F.R. Part 730 – 774, as may be amended. To conform to these laws and regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., protected individuals as defined by 8 USC 1324(b)(a)(3) (i.e., asylees and refugees) or otherwise eligible for an export authorization from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce. Offers of employment will be contingent on the Company’s ability to secure an export authorization. FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.
FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.